The whole family was plagued by so many health issues last year, that I’m gradually changing our lifestyle and diet as we enter into a healthier and happier 2014. While I’m not 100% for naturopathy, I am keen on minimising our reliance on pharmaceuticals and unnecessarily invasive treatments. Hopefully all these changes can also improve the chances of our #2 babymaking efforts!
Here’s what we’re trying that seems to work so far. Thanks to Google and friends for the tips.
1) Sore throats and runny nose: Doesn’t it feel like if it’s not you, a friend or family member will catch this at least once a week? The unnatural cold front in Singapore, and fluctuating temperatures doesn’t help!
– Avoid dairy, bananas, cold food. Subsitute for calcium with tofu, soy beans, almonds, oranges, greens
– Nasal douche or spray with sea salt (antibacterial, isotonic)
– Diffuse or drop chamomile, eucalyptus (for older kids), camphor / tiger balm (adults) on pillow or clothes
– Apply pain relieving rescue cream twice daily from nostrils to top of nose and cheeks
– Soak flax seed overnight, boil and reduce to make a warm compress/ paste and apply to head, cheek, nose ideally for 30 mins each day
2) Cough: If persists more than a week though, go see a doctor as there could be a respiratory infection. Don’t wait like I did!
– Serve up pork rib (or vegetable roots) soup, red dates with daikon (white radish) or watercress
– Drink warm manuka honey, lemon and chamomile tea
– Diffuse or drop lavender (cramped cough), eucalpytus (congestion), thyme (suppressant), myrrh (anti-inflammatory). If no oils at hand, use Vicks BabyRub
– Try warm curd or lemon packing too
3) (Mild) fever, diarrhea, vomiting from an upset tummy / stomach bug: B had all of this around Christmas. We didn’t see a doctor as his temperature never exceeded 38C, and I wanted to allow his immune system the chance to produce antibodies to cure the body. He recovered within a few days with:
– Drink, drink, drink! Peppermint, fennel or chamomile tea, ginger with lemon and honey water
– Ensure sufficient zinc and fiber: Fruits (bananas, apples, pomegranates, grapes, cranberries, cherries, blueberries), carrot, ginger and sweet potato porridge, wholewheat bread/flour, veggies (carrots). Cut down on dairy, white bread, sugar, chocolates, juice
– Barley tea and/or ginger to settle the tummy. The taste can be hard to swallow for kids so add to their favourite foods (i.e. porridge, fish soup … and of course, baked goodies, like gingerbread men 🙂
– Wear cotton clothes, go on diapers (sets back potty training, but oh so necessary!)
4) Rash and bites: We go outdoors alot and get our fair share of mozzie and sandfly bites, no matter how much lotion and repellent we use! Our family also has a history of adult eczema although B so far shows no signs …. yet
– Aloe vera or papaya based gels, peppermint or oatmeal bath (fill a cloth bag with leaves/uncooked oats)
– Calendula, coconut oil, olive oil, tea tree oil and oatmeal based lotions. Oatmeal worked wonders for me since I first discovered Aveeno while working in New York. It’s anti-inflammatory, seals in moisture, relieves irration
– If rash also includes oral sores, it could be HFMD, scarlet fever, chicken pox
– If rash is chronic, likely to be eczema. Check this out!
5) Healthy, organic living wherever possible. I was quite particular about this while pregnant and through B’s first year, but slacked off last year:
– Organic grocery shopping at Fairprice Finest or if I can’t find something and need it quick, I’ll stop by Brown Rice Paradise or Four Seasons Market
– Organic online shopping from iherb, The Fishwives, The Organic Grocer, Fassler
– Organic (casual) dining at Real Food, Balanced Living as these are nearby. Get more recs here or join the Organic Living Meet Up
6) Massage: Ironically, I had more massages when working full-time and traveling lots:
– This year, I’m aiming for at least twice a year (for me)
– Casual, 15 mins twice daily (for B) on the back, belly button, head, hands and feet meridians
– Don’t know what oil to use? Read this! If inspired, make your own blend of jojoba, thyme, bergamot, cypress, tea tree and angelica oils 🙂
Want to receive updates, reviews and more? Like me at Finally Mama on Instagram